Gabriel J. Shuldiner Sculpture Splitshif/t | 2019
“Black: as an undefined signifier, multi-coded metaphor and paradoxical koan of [ab- solute] nothingness…”
Estimated Value: $1,000
Interested in the timeless and disparate associations assigned to black, Gabriel J. Shuldiner describes his work as ‘bruteminimalism®’: a concept situated somewhere be- tween the abstract and absurd_ his physically powerful, s/reductively delicate ‘hy- bridsculpturalpaintings®’ trigger both immediate engagement and visceral reaction, conjuring images of voids in space and postapocalyptic futures.
He sites ‘subtlety of difference, produced through repetition’ and ‘implied nuanced histories of the oft-overlooked’ as starting points for work that explores and dis- rupts 21st century painting and object-making_ gabriel j. shuldiner deems his elusive black palette “postapocalypticblack®”: a viscous custom composite, based upon the key life ingredient and oldest known earth element, carbon [c].
Applied in thick layers on a multitude of substrates, gabriel j shuldiner meticulously bends, scrapes and sculpts his proprietary black material, creating areas both smooth and rough that proportionately reflect, refract, distort and absorb observ- able levels of electromagnetic radiation_
Gabriel J. Shuldiner’s self-described “bruteminimalist®” work has been exhibited na- tionally and internationally at select galleries, museums and avant-garde boutiques that include: maison gerard (nyc), new museum (nyc), the museum at fit (nyc), luhring augustine (nyc), sikkema jenkins & co (nyc), rusharts (nyc), childrens museum of the arts (nyc), theodoreart (nyc), hotoveli (nyc), grey area (nyc), white box (nyc), christo- pher henry gallery (nyc), sundaram tagore gallery (nyc), the bronx museum of the arts (nyc), wave hill cultural center (nyc), newhouse center for contemporary art (nyc), the kitchen (nyc), odd (nyc), occulter (nyc), seven new york (nyc), bblessing (nyc), david richard gallery (sante fe), litvak contemporary (tel aviv), indianapolis mu- seum of contemporary art (indianapolis), and church boutique (los angeles), among others_ his work has also garnered select press that include: artsy, paper magazine, interview magazine, artforum, architizer, and artfagcity, among others both print and digital.
A native new yorker, gabriel j. shuldiner lives and works in manhattan’s west chelsea, where he currently maintains his studio.
Terms and conditions :
- Year created : 2019
- Medium : modified acrylic polymer emulsion | carbon black pigment | calcium carbonate | water | modified industrial urethane enamel | vinyl acrylic co- polymer emulsion | acrylic stain-block sealant | latex-based construction adhesive | nuisance dust | saliva | air | electromagnetic radiation | dark matter ]*proprietary | fluorescent enamel spray aerosol | cotton duck canvas | wood stretcher bars | stainless steel heavy duty staples | blackened stainless steel flat head hinge screws | reinforced steel wire.
- Size : overall dimensions variable: 6.75 x 4.5 x 2 in. [17.14 x 11.43 x 5.08 cm.]overall weight approximately: .35 lb. [0.158 kg.]
- The sculpture is non refundable
- Does include a certificate of authenticity
- Winner pays for shipping
- If you have any questions about this lot email hello(at) fashionfightscancer.org