Buzz Aldrin Walking on the Surface of the Moon near a Leg of the Lunar Module 1969
Neil Armstrong shot “Buzz Aldrin Walking on the Surface of the Moon near a Leg of the Lunar Module” and the majority of film on the Moon with Armstrong himself appearing in only two color photographs.
During the first moonwalk mission in 1969, Neil Armstrong with a 70mm Hasselblad camera and 60mm lens captured Apollo 11 fellow astronaut whose first words after Buzz Aldrin set foot on the Moon: “Beautiful view. Isn’t that something? Magnificent sight out here. Magnificent desolation.”
It was Neil Armstrong (1930-2012) though who had become the first person to step onto the lunar surface on this journey and announced humbly to the world that his victory was “one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.”
The Apollo 11 Moonwalk was about exploration, about taking risk for great rewards in science and in engineering – about setting an ambitious goal before the world.
Armstrong and Aldrin spent 21 hours 31 minutes on the lunar surface at a site they named Tranquility Base before lifting off to rejoin astronaut Michael Collins in the Columbia in lunar orbit and begin their reentry to Earth…
“A flight to the moon is a long and challenging daisy chain of events,” Michael Collins said of the historic mission. “The flight was a question of being under tension and worrying about … what I have to do next to keep the daisy chain in tact. Apollo 11 was serious business. We crew felt the weight of the world on our shoulders. We knew everyone in the world would be looking at us – friend or foe. We wanted to do the best we possibly could, put our best foot forward – that required a great deal of work on our part.”
Terms and conditions :
- The color photograph is chromogenic vintage print on fiber paper, stamped McDonnell Douglas (the company that helped build the rocket launch system), with filigrane (watermark) “A Kodak Paper” on the reverse
- Dimensions: H 11 in. x W 11 in.
- Year 1969
- The photograph is shipped premium express and is fully insured
- The photography is non refundable
- Does include a certificate of authenticity
- Winner pays for shipping
- Not framed
- If you have any questions about this lot email hello(at) fashionfightscancer.org