Buzz Aldrin near Seismograph on Moon Surface with “The Eagle” and American Flag 1969
For 8 days in space, Neil Armstrong captured during the historic Apollo 11 moonwalk in July 1969 his fellow astronaut Buzz Aldrin, Lunar Module Pilot next to a seismograph with the “Eagle” and American flag in the background.
During this first moonwalk mission in 1969, Neil Armstrong with a 70mm Hasselblad camera and 60mm lens photographed Buzz who said while he set foot on the Moon: “Beautiful view. Isn’t that something? Magnificent sight out here. Magnificent desolation.”
It was Neil Armstrong (1930-2012), however, who had become the first person to step onto the lunar surface on this journey and announced humbly to the world that his victory was “one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.”
Armstrong and Aldrin spent 21 hours 31 minutes on the lunar surface at a site they named Tranquility Base before lifting off to rejoin astronaut Michael Collins in the Columbia in lunar orbit and begin their reentry to Earth…
“A flight to the moon is a long and challenging daisy chain of events,” Michael Collins said of the historic mission. “The flight was a question of being under tension and worrying about … what I have to do next to keep the daisy chain in tact. Apollo 11 was serious business. We crew felt the weight of the world on our shoulders. We knew everyone in the world would be looking at us – friend or foe. We wanted to do the best we possibly could, put our best foot forward – that required a great deal of work on our part.”
The Apollo 11 Moonwalk was about exploration, about taking risk for great rewards in science and in engineering – about setting an ambitious goal before the world.
Terms and conditions :
- The color photograph is a vintage chromogenic print on fiber paper, stamped McDonnell Douglas (the company that helped build the rocket launch system), with filigrane (watermark) “A Kodak Paper” on the reverse.
- Dimensions: H 16 in. x W 20 in.H
- Year 1969
- The photograph is shipped premium express and is fully insured
- The photography is non refundable
- Does include a certificate of authenticity
- Winner pays for shipping
- Not framed
- If you have any questions about this lot email hello(at) fashionfightscancer.org